All Saints is built on the site of an early timber cruciform church, the current building dates from the 12th century with the north aisle and rebuilding in the 13th. The arcade to the north aisle is of monolithic granite columns from Lundy. The front porch and font are Norman. The tower is only 54ft high but houses a peal of six bells with a 10cwt. tenor. There is a fine wagon roof and a 17th century pulpit. The tracker organ dates from 1889.
The stained-glass windows date from the 1880s, one by Charles Kempe and there are a number of memorial dating from the 17th and 18th centuries.
There is a service, from Common Worship on 1st & 3rd Sundays and Book of Common Prayer on the 4th Sunday evening [candlelit in the winter], for the small and welcoming congregation. There is no longer a service on the 2nd Sunday, except Remembrance Sunday. On 5th Sundays the services rotate round the group churches.
Our recent Quinquennial [5 yearly] report indicates that all of the south elevation slate roofs have ‘nail sickness’ and therefore need removing and refixing as well as other maintenance works. The cost of this is likely to be well over £200,000!
We have the following services at 11.00am every month – 1st Sunday Morning Worship; 3rd Sunday Holy Communion; 4th Sunday Morning Worship. For further details of special services please visit www.achurchnearyou.com or call the contacts below.
St Peter’s Chapel
Located in Clovelly street is worth a visit for a few minutes of peace and quite away from the bustle of the main street.
It was licensed on 29th November 1948 at the behest of the vicar at the time – Revd A S Chandler. However in 1974 an old faded document was found with the 1st dedication in 1846 ” for those residents not able to climb the hill to attend the Parish Church”.
Inside you will find these wonderful mural panels painted by local artist Fiona Creighton-Balfour in the late 1990′s.
Re. Jane Skinner
The Rectory, Old Market Drive, Woolsery, EX39 5QF
Mr Chris West
Pillowery Park, Burscott, Higher Clovelly, EX39 5RR
Mrs Sue Curtis
Fuchsia Cottage, Burscott, Higher Clovelly, EX39 5RR
Clovelly Lifeboat Station
Clovelly Lifeboat Station has been operating in the Parish since 1869, when a silver Medal was awarded to Chief Officer Coastguard George Bumby when he brought ashore 13 people in a longboat from Barque Od Ne wrecked at Portledge Mouth.
You can follow the Station, and their various events on the group’s Facebook Page: Clovelly Lifeboat Station Facebook